Personal - Hannah Roberts Photography

Wedding Photographer in South Alabama & the Gulf Coast

May 18th, 2017

What is a day in the life of Hannah Roberts like?

I get a lot of questions about how I handle being a mom, in school, a wife, a youth pastor's wife, and a photographer. One of the hardest things for people like me is balancing everything evenly. So what is my schedule? How do I do it all? Well, I usually wake up to the sound of my child crying. Then I slide out of bed and tend to her immediate needs (i.e diaper change, Paci, blanket). Then I go to the kitchen to make her bottle and get her morning meds ready. Then I start my morning cup of coffee (essential to success). I feed the baby and bring her into the living room where the real work will begin. Then I feed my dogs, fill their water bowl and put them outside. Then I look at my planner and my calendar for the day. I log onto my online school website and check for updates and assignment details. Then I spend about an hour doing homework.Then my husband comes home for lunch. I cook lunch, we eat, and he leaves for work.  About this time I have to change the baby's diaper and get ready for her therapist to come or get ready to bring her to an appointment. This takes about two hours. When its done or we arrive home, I feed her and change her again if needed. I then sit down and get back on my computer. I either do two hours more of homework, edit my website, or edit photos. Really its whichever my brain can handle better at that moment. Then my husband comes home and its time to feed the baby again. I talk with him and hear all about his day and he hears all about mine. Then I start cooking dinner which takes about an hour or two depending on what it is. Then we eat and one of us starts cleaning the kitchen while the other feeds the baby again and takes care of her. Then we sit down to relax, and I am either answering emails on my phone, posting on social media, doing homework, editing photos, or working on my website. Then its time for bed so one of us makes the baby's formula and cleans her bottles while the other feeds, changes and gets her ready for bed. My husband then goes to bed and I sit in bed on my computer for another hour or two doing homework or doing business stuff. Its a long day y'all. Somedays we have more than one appointment, we have church or youth group, we have errands to run, we have plans with friend, we have shoots to do, etc. There is never a boring day. The key is to give yourself grace, have discipline, be organized and keep family first. Somedays you will win and somedays you will lose but thats just life. 

April 20th, 2017


College has been an interesting adventure. During my time in college I: started on ORU's campus, got married, moved in to our first apartment, took on a job to teach 4-6 year olds dance, found out I was pregnant, my husband got a new job that required us to relocated, left my job, moved to Alabama, switched to ORU online school, found out I had a high risk pregnancy, was admitted to the hospital on bed rest, had an emergency C-section, spent two months in the hospital with our baby 5 hours away from home, brought our baby home, started a photography business, bought our first house, moved out of our apartment, spent a month renovating our new house, never took a single summer break, and finished my bachelors of science in 3 years. Ask me how and I will say; Oreos. It has been a crazy adventure. Really it wasn't Oreos; it was definitely my husband. He loves school and was such a strong encourager for me to finish. He took these pictures of me by the way. He did such an awesome job! He will make a fabulous second shooter if I could just get him to figure out focus... hehe I don't think he even reads my blog. Anyway, they turned out great and I am so happy to be done with school! 

April 12th, 2017

My blog wouldn't be complete without an introduction to my sweet baby Adeline! This video is one I made to celebrate her first year of life with us. It covers the beginning of her hospital journey and her coming home. That was June of 2016 and this year she will be turning two! When I was 28 weeks pregnant my OBGYN saw that Addie's brain had extra fluid and I was sent to a high risk doctor. That was the last time I would see my OBGYN that I had known. I had high risk appointments three times a week for the next five weeks. We did MRI's of her head while in utero, ultrasounds, and an amniocentesis. The MRI's showed that she had no corpus callosum which is the mesh structure that lines the middle of the brain and separates the two hemispheres. It helps the two half's connect but is not necessarily life threatening to live without. The amniocentesis came back normal. She was negative for downs syndrome and all the other main disorders that could be associated with her symptoms.  I also had preeclampsia and she was breech. At 34 weeks I was admitted to the hospital for bed rest on a Wednesday and ended up having her the next Monday morning. I had about a 30min warning that I was having an emergency c-section. Addie was very sick and tired when she was born and had to be life flighted 5 hours away to a better hospital. Four days later my husband and I joined her and lived in and out of hotels for a month until she was stable enough to transfer back home. She was diagnosed with pyruvate dehydrogenase deficiency from a muscle biopsy. Her body is not able to process sugar and carbs like it should. She is on a ketogenic diet in order to give her body and brain some energy and power for growth. Even in the womb she wasn't able to use the nutrients that she was getting to develop. It is like her body is a car running on AA batteries all the time. It is enough to get the car running but it can't go far. The life expectancy she was given was about six years old but she has surpassed so many expectations already. She eats through a g-tube for all her meals. She has epilepsy and is on five different medications to control her seizures. She had a brain shunt placed at six months old to control the extra fluid in her head. She has gone through so much these past almost two years. She can now say "mama", she can smile and giggle, she can sit with support, and she can roll over. These are huge steps that we worried she would never reach. We try to be so very grateful for everyday we have with her. There are often scares that make us wonder how much longer we will have her but she always fights back. Our faith in God has sustained us through this whole process. It has made us look at life so much different than we used to. We have come to the place where we know that God will sustain us no matter what happens. 

March 24th, 2017

Before my grandfather passed away I had the opportunity to spend a weekend with him. We got to talk a lot about one of his favorite things, photography. After he passed I had the chance to photograph his beloved work space. I can't even begin to explain how cool us grandkids thought it was growing up. I remember he always had a camera around his neck and at family reunions he would make everyone watch hours of his slideshows. With actual slides, not a computer, if you can believe it. He never did it for money, but rather to document to the beauty of raising a family of 6 in New Jersey, relocating his family to Mexico, and the MLK march in Washington D.C. He saw so many amazing things in his day and was the type to capture it all on film. My mother also learned to love photography because of him. I am glad to know that he is smiling down on me. 

Powered by SmugMug Log In